[squid-users] Unable to explain 407 Proxy Authentication Required

Random Dude tribosmde at gmail.com
Mon Jul 8 14:39:58 UTC 2024

Hey everyone.

I'm trying to get a minimal forward proxy with authentication set up. I
have the following config (purposely kept as minimal as possible) and have
followed these steps -
https://wiki.squid-cache.org/ConfigExamples/Authenticate/

squid.conf ---
auth_param basic program /usr/lib/squid/basic_ncsa_auth
/etc/squid/passwords auth_param basic children 5 auth_param basic
credentialsttl 1 minute acl CONNECT method CONNECT acl auth proxy_auth
REQUIRED http_port 3128 http_access deny !auth http_access allow auth
http_access deny all
---

However, no matter what I do I always get a 407 Proxy Authentication
Required response from the proxy. I've been testing with "curl -v -U
very simple so what am I doing wrong?

Thank you.