[squid-users] Unable to explain 407 Proxy Authentication Required

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Wed Jul 10 10:45:18 UTC 2024

On 9/07/24 02:39, Random Dude wrote:
> Hey everyone.
>
> I'm trying to get a minimal forward proxy with authentication set up. I
> have the following config (purposely kept as minimal as possible) and
> have followed these steps -
> https://wiki.squid-cache.org/ConfigExamples/Authenticate/
> <https://wiki.squid-cache.org/ConfigExamples/Authenticate/>
>
> squid.conf ---
> auth_param basic program /usr/lib/squid/basic_ncsa_auth
> /etc/squid/passwords auth_param basic children 5 auth_param basic
> credentialsttl 1 minute acl CONNECT method CONNECT acl auth proxy_auth
> REQUIRED http_port 3128 http_access deny !auth http_access allow auth
> http_access deny all
> ---
>
> However, no matter what I do I always get a 407 Proxy Authentication
> Required response from the proxy. I've been testing with "curl -v -U
> something very simple so what am I doing wrong?

The config above is correct. So whatever the issue, it is not Squid.

I would start with a check to see if the login you are testing with is
correctly encoded in the passwords file.

This command line should tell you that:

  echo "username password" | \
  /usr/lib/squid/basic_ncsa_auth /etc/squid/passwords

HTH