[squid-users] Squid performance recommendation

ngtech1ltd at gmail.com ngtech1ltd at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 16:58:31 UTC 2022

Hey Szabolcs,

Since Amos answered your question regarding a simple VM I would like to refer to the k8s part.

A huge Kubernetes cluster is good for very specific use cases.
It’s not “easy” to scale and or change the config and update out of the box,
you will need to work on that since there aren’t any ready to use solutions for these on k8s.
‘kubectl apply -f x.yaml’ is not really a good solution for every scaling problem.
Also take into account that you will probably will have issues with cache HITS if the distribution
algorithm is unable to inflict the same requests to the same proxy.

With k8s since the *big* clusters usually is on BareMetal it’s possible to get up to 30 percent more
performance then a VMs. Also, the network latency is not so high in a k8s cluster for the same reason.
Basically, in most k8s clusters the traffic is almost like inside a shared memory.

It’s possible to define the specs of the project and to asses from there.
HAproxy will be able to handle 40k clients without any issues and to allow full HA you might need 2 HAproxy machines.
The real issue with such a setup is how the config is applied.
For example, a big list of black and whitelist domains might be better stored outside of squid.
Depends on your requirements you might be able to use either ufdbGuard or another solution.

There aren’t many differences between containerized squid to VM’s is not a lot. Actually, in the case of a simple forward proxy
it might be pretty simple to run a containerized squid on-top of a VM (which how k8s is most runs like these days).

As for autoscaling squid containers on-top of k8s, you will probably need to invest a lot more then a VM to make this fit your needs.

Since you mentioned more Administration time on a VM, it’s not true (to my opinion and experience).
There isn’t much of a difference between a VM and a container for a simple forward squid setup.
(it will be different if you need interception of connections)

If you do have more details on the required setup itself it would be pretty simple to find the right way for a good solution.

I really recommend you to read the next article:
https://ably.com/blog/no-we-dont-use-kubernetes

which touch many aspects of k8s vs VM’s.

I can try to give you an idea for implementation on VM’s but I am still missing couple pieces to understand the best.

Yours,
Eliezer

----
Eliezer Croitoru