[squid-users] Squid performance recommendation

Marcus Kool marcus.kool at urlfilterdb.com
Wed Sep 21 15:58:45 UTC 2022

On 20/09/2022 20:52, Pintér Szabolcs wrote:

> Hi squid community,
>
> I need to find most best and sustainable way to build a stable High Availability squid cluster/solution for abou 40k user.
>
> Parameters: I need HA, caching(little objects only not like big windows updates), scaling(It is just secondly), and I want to use and modify(in production,in working hours) complex black- and whitelists
>
> [snip]

To modify the Squid config in production during working hours is a requirement that needs careful thought since the web proxy is unavailable when it reloads its configuration.

HA can resolved this with
1. change config squid node 1
2. load balancer stops new connections to node 1
3. wait X minutes, maybe 15 minutes, for most connections to node 1 to disappear
4. reload the config on node 1 - existing connections are closed
5. wait until Squid on node 1 is operational again
6. load balancer allows new connections to node 1 and stops new connections to node 2
7. change config squid node 2
8. wait X minutes, maybe 15 minutes, for most connections to node 2 to disappear
9. reload the config on node 2 - existing connections are closed
10. wait until Squid on node 2 is operational again
11. load balancer allows new connections to node 2

Depending on what your requirements are, you may consider using ufdbGuard for Squid since ufdbGuard can reload its configuration without interrupting clients of the web proxy.

Marcus