[squid-users] Squid performance recommendation

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Wed Sep 21 11:27:21 UTC 2022

On 21/09/22 07:52, Pintér Szabolcs wrote:
> Hi squid community,
>
> I need to find most best and sustainable way to build a stable High
> Availability squid cluster/solution for abou 40k user.

Number of users is of low relevance to Squid. What matters is the rate
of requests they are sending to Squid.

For example; each of your 40k users sending one request per hour to
Squid is not a problem, but if they send one per second will need
multiple Squid instances.

> Parameters: I need HA,

Assuming you do mean "high availability" instead of something unusual.
Squid is designed to maximize availability - whether it meets this
criteria will depend on several factors:

  * what measure(s) you consider necessary for this requirement.
    Proxy uptime? Response time?
    How much outage is acceptable for each?

  * the complexity of features and policy Squid is configured with.
   - impacts reconfigure/restart times, and response times.

  * consistency of client compliance to HTTP
   - impacts response times

> caching(little objects only not like big windows
> updates),

No problem for Squid.

> scaling(It is just secondly), and

Not a problem for Squid.

> I want to use and modify(in
> production,in working hours) complex black- and whitelists

Should not be a problem. Details of course depend on your specific
policy and update needs.

> I have some idea:
>
> 1. A huge kubernetes cluster
>
> pro: Easy to scale, change the config and update.
>
> contra: I'm afraid of the network latency.(because of the most plus
> layers e.g. vm network stack, kubernetes network stack ith vxlan and etc.).

Sorry I have no experience here. So the remainder of your questions I
cannot answer.

HTH