[squid-users] Squid performance recommendation

Pintér Szabolcs spinter at npsh.hu
Tue Sep 20 19:52:28 UTC 2022

Hi squid community,

I need to find most best and sustainable way to build a stable High
Availability squid cluster/solution for abou 40k user.

Parameters: I need HA, caching(little objects only not like big windows
updates), scaling(It is just secondly), and I want to use and modify(in
production,in working hours) complex black- and whitelists

I have some idea:

1. A huge kubernetes cluster

pro: Easy to scale, change the config and update.

contra: I'm afraid of the network latency.(because of the most plus
layers e.g. vm network stack, kubernetes network stack ith vxlan and etc.).

2. Simple VM-s with a HAProxy in tcp mode

pro: less network latency(I think)

contra: More time to Administration

Has anybody any experience with squid in kubernetes(or similar
technology) with a large number of useres?

What do you think which is the most perfect solution or do you have
other idea for the implementation?

Thanks!

Best, Szabolcs

--
*Pintér Szabolcs Péter*
H-1117 Budapest, Neumann János u. 1. A épület 2. emelet
spinter at npsh.hu