[squid-users] External ACL undocumented changes?

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Tue Oct 8 00:23:10 UTC 2019

On 2019-10-08 12:15, johnr wrote:
> In squid 3.5, passing a request header into the external ACL was post
> reqmod
> (if I added a header in ICAP, it was available in the external ACL).

Not quite. It depended on when the ACL was tested: pre or pos-
adaptation. Obviously testing the ACL in http_access before adaptation
took place would not be able to send adapted headers.

see
<https://wiki.squid-cache.org/ProgrammingGuide/Architecture#Transaction_Processing>
for processing order.

>  In
> squid 4, this doesn't seem to be the case. Is that intentional?

Yes, in Squid-4 the old header codes are mapped to the pre-adaptation
header logformat codes because the pre-adaptation http_access directive
is the most common use of ACLs.

> Further, the logformat codes that the external ACL now supports should
> allow
> access to the post reqmod headers, but that also doesn't seem to work.

If the ">ha" logformat code does not send adapted HTTP request headers
*after* adaptation completes, that would be a bug.

> I'm not sure if this is user error or if there is actually a bug.

Either or both. You have not provided any actual details of the config
and what Squid is sending and/or logging for us to say which.