[squid-users] delay_pools does not work in squid 4.x

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Sun Jun 30 15:20:23 UTC 2019

On 1/07/19 2:17 am, sargen wrote:
> Hello.
> My system is FreeBSD 11.2. I am using squid 3.5.28 compiled with support for
> delay_pools in the following configuration
>
> acl deny_blocked proxy_auth -i "/usr/local/etc/squid/blocked_users.acl"
> delay_pools 1
> delay_class 1 4
> delay_access 1 allow deny_blocked
> delay_access 1 deny all
> delay_parameters 1 -1 / -1 -1 / -1 -1 / -1 8000/16000

If the above is an exact copy-paste of your cofig file then the syntax
is invalid. Squid-3 may have accepted it but Squid-4 is a bit more
pedantic about correct syntax.

Also please use the "none" keywords instead of "-1/-1" values (note the
absence of whitespaces around those numbers).

> After upgrading squid from version 3.5.28 to 4.5, delay_pools stopped
> working.

How did it stop?

More to the point, why was the above working at all?
 * proxy_auth requires remote helper lookups to authenticate.
 * delay pools cannot perform that type of lookup.

> I found this thread -
> http://squid-web-proxy-cache.1019090.n4.nabble.com/Delay-pools-in-squid4-not-working-with-https-td4685837.html,
> but the discussion seems to be it ended in nothing, and I had to go back to
> version 3.5.28.

The discussion ends with a reference to more details in another thread.

..
> When can we expect a solution to the issue of delay_pools?

*If* Alex's guess is correct, then the bug will be fixed in Squid-5. You
can try that cutting-edge code. Whether that is actually your problem or
not, nobody knows.