[squid-users] delay_pools does not work in squid 4.x

sargen sargen1907 at mail.ru
Sun Jun 30 16:18:14 UTC 2019

>> acl deny_blocked proxy_auth -i "/usr/local/etc/squid/blocked_users.acl"
>> delay_pools 1
>> delay_class 1 4
>> delay_access 1 allow deny_blocked
>> delay_access 1 deny all
>> delay_parameters 1 -1 / -1 -1 / -1 -1 / -1 8000/16000
>>
> If the above is an exact copy-paste of your cofig file then the syntax
> is invalid. Squid-3 may have accepted it but Squid-4 is a bit more
> pedantic about correct syntax.

Ok, may be.

>> After upgrading squid from version 3.5.28 to 4.5, delay_pools stopped
>> working.
> How did it stop?

Sorry, I don't know English well enough.
On version 3.5.28 with such settings, users from the deny_blocked list used
a bandwidth of 64kbps.
On version 4.x with the same settings, users from the deny_blocked list used
the entire bandwidth without restrictions.

> More to the point, why was the above working at all?

I dont know.
I just used delay pool class 4
(http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v4/cfgman/delay_class.html) with the
appropriate delay_parameters as described in the
http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v4/cfgman/delay_parameters.html
documentation, and this worked exactly as I wanted.

>*If* Alex's guess is correct, then the bug will be fixed in Squid-5. You
>can try that cutting-edge code. Whether that is actually your problem or
>not, nobody knows.

Ok.
It was important for me to make sure that the developers were aware of the
problem. Thanks!