[squid-users] Squid-5 vs. FTP:// URLs

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Tue Apr 2 10:25:48 UTC 2019

On 2/04/19 10:51 pm, Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:
> Currently I'm trying to channel ftp:// style URLs through our squid-5.
> In general this is working ok, but:
>
> ftp directory listings are DOWNLOADED instead of being displayed (in Chrome 73.0.x -- in Firefox Quantum 67.0b6 this works)
> It's probably related to this: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/google/chrome-and-firefox-developers-aim-to-remove-support-for-ftp/
>
> The URL scheme is ftp://, the data returned by the proxy is text/html,
> and since that's the case, the data is being downloaded instead of
> being displayed directly.

You will have to take that up with the Browse folks. They are the ones
who broke their software.

> Is there any way around this?

No. Both the request and response are in HTTP(S) protocol. The scheme of
the URL has nothing to do with what the client / Browser should be
doing. If they are imparting any special behaviour due to scheme that is
entirely artificial on their part.