[squid-users] Squid-5 vs. FTP:// URLs

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Tue Apr 2 15:39:46 UTC 2019

On 4/2/19 3:51 AM, Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:
> ftp directory listings are DOWNLOADED instead of being displayed (in Chrome 73.0.x -- in Firefox Quantum 67.0b6 this works)
> It's probably related to this: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/google/chrome-and-firefox-developers-aim-to-remove-support-for-ftp/
>
> The URL scheme is ftp://, the data returned by the proxy is text/html,
> and since that's the case, the data is being downloaded instead of
> being displayed directly.
>
> Is there any way around this?

Based on the above URL alone, the browsers wanted to continue rendering
FTP directory indexes.

* If browsers still render FTP directory indexes without Squid, but stop
rendering them with Squid, then either we can adjust Squid to play along
or they need to improve their proxy support. More information is needed
to distinguish those two possible outcomes.

* Otherwise, see Amos response. TLDR: Squid is at the browsers mercy.