[squid-users] quiet week

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Mon Jun 4 08:38:56 UTC 2018

On 04/06/18 19:51, Eliezer Croitoru wrote:

> Amos, am I right about the roadmap of Squid-Cache to be much closer to Debian and Ubuntu compared to CentOS?

Debian is a "seed" type of distribution, like Fedora, Arch, Slack,
Gentoo, Mageus, and some others not packaging Squid (Desktop or IoT
focus, etc). They get their code directly from projects/communities like
us. Most distributions tend to be based on one of those seeds with only
a change to what they focus on.

CentOS is a third-level derivative from Fedora (Fedora->RHEL->CentOS),
whereas Ubuntu is a second-level derivative of Debian (Debian->Ubuntu).

That is probably where you are seeing the difference between CentOS
(waiting for RHEL stability, which itself only starts after Fedora
stability first) vs Ubuntu (waiting only for Debian stability).

I am trying to make the Squid stable releases have a regular cadence
that suits the seeder OS release timetables where possible (Jan or
July). So that the derivatives which wait for packages to get stable in
the seeder first are not left stuck for decades with outdated Squid
versions. That is still subject to bugs and what feature have been
committed though. So as yet the "regular" part does not quite exist and
we get delays like v4 with difficult bugs.