[squid-users] heart beet between squid peers

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Thu Feb 2 21:56:57 UTC 2017

On 02/01/2017 12:06 AM, salil GK wrote:
> I need to know whether the connectivity is through from squid
> child to squid parent.

> I need to know in both machines that the squid channel is active.

> if the heartbeat is exchanged successfully !!

It is not clear what you mean by "connectivity is through", "channel is
active", and "heartbeat is exchanged". You may want to describe what you
need in higher-level terms specific to your problem domain.

Please note that Squid peers do not normally exchange HTTP messages
unless there is a client request to be forwarded. There are various
optional features (e.g., cache_peer standby=N) that may create peer
traffic in the absence of requests, but it is not yet clear whether any
of those features are applicable to your use case.

If you just want to know whether there is at least one TCP connection
between two Squid instances, then you can use netstat or a similar tool
to find all connections to/from relevant addresses (and their state).

If you want to monitor the current peer state, I believe there is a
cache manager page for that, but that will only give you information
about one Squid's opinion, not both.