[squid-users] heart beet between squid peers

salil GK gksalil at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 23:43:23 UTC 2017

Hello Alex

   Thanks for the reply

     what happens is - we provide an interface for the admin to set whether
forward proxy is enabled or not - and also specify which all peers need to
be involved in the squid chaining ( parent child ). If I have say 4
machines - A,B,C and D. Admin can decide machine A and B are the child  and
machine C and D as parents. Both A and B can use C and D as parents - for
load balancing and redundancy.

A -> parent -> C
A -> parent -> D
B -> parent -> C
B -> parent -> D

In the UI interface admin will specify this. When it is done, in the back
end I will create a tunnel and reconfigure squid config file and start
squid. Now in the UI I need to specify whether every thing is perfect and A
and B can talk to C and D seamlessly - or the traffic is perfect or not.
Only if the traffic between squid A and squid C and squid D are perfect, I
should mention that it is ACTIVE. For this I thought if have some mechanism
in both sides to do ping kind of functionality, it would be good.

What I found is squid client can be used for ping to other end. In the A
server I can use tunnel as the ping destination and C server I can directly
ping A. If this is through I guess set the channel as ACTIVE.  another
option is as Eliezer mentioned, I can use simple curl to verify this
connectivity

Thanks and regards
~S

On 3 February 2017 at 03:26, Alex Rousskov <rousskov at measurement-factory.com