[squid-users] native ftp and proxy authentication

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Fri Dec 15 16:07:50 UTC 2017

On 12/15/2017 03:53 AM, Dieter Bloms wrote:

> I use the native ftp support of squid-4.0.22 and it works well without proxy
> authentication.

> I want to enable the proxy authentication, but don't know how to login
> to the proxy with the native ftp client.

Does your native FTP client support FTP proxy authentication?

> Without proxy authentication the string ftpuser at ftpserver works fine.
> When I enable proxy-authentication, then I have to enter the proxy
> credentials, but don't know how to do it.

"How to give FTP client credentials for proxy authentication" seems like
a question for your FTP client support forum, not squid-users. We do not
even know what FTP client you use. Did I misunderstand the question?

> I tried "proxyuser at ftpuser@ftpserver" for username, but it doesn't work.

IIRC, proxyuser at ftpuser@ftpserver tells Squid to go to ftpserver using
proxyuser at ftpuser as the user name/login.

> Is there any support for native ftp protocol and proxy authentication ?

I doubt there is native FTP proxy authentication support in Squid, but
to be sure, it would be great to know how that works from the FTP client
point of view. In other words, when an FTP client supports FTP proxy
authentication, what does it send to the FTP proxy (i.e., to Squid)?

Cheers,