[squid-users] native ftp and proxy authentication

Dieter Bloms squid at bloms.de
Sat Dec 16 20:02:41 UTC 2017

Hello Alex,

thank you for your answer!

On Fri, Dec 15, Alex Rousskov wrote:

> On 12/15/2017 03:53 AM, Dieter Bloms wrote:
>
> > I use the native ftp support of squid-4.0.22 and it works well without proxy
> > authentication.
>
> > I want to enable the proxy authentication, but don't know how to login
> > to the proxy with the native ftp client.
>
> Does your native FTP client support FTP proxy authentication?

No it doesn't.
So it would be nice to have a solution, which works with every ftp
client.
I think about an option in squid.conf where I can configure the login
schema, like proxyuser at ftpuser@ftpserver for the user login and
proxypass at ftppass for the password.

> > Without proxy authentication the string ftpuser at ftpserver works fine.
> > When I enable proxy-authentication, then I have to enter the proxy
> > credentials, but don't know how to do it.
>
> "How to give FTP client credentials for proxy authentication" seems like
> a question for your FTP client support forum, not squid-users. We do not
> even know what FTP client you use. Did I misunderstand the question?

I want a genric solution, so that every ftp client can use the ftp proxy
support of squid.
At the moment I have to use a commercial ftp client which doesn't
have any proxy option.

> > I tried "proxyuser at ftpuser@ftpserver" for username, but it doesn't work.
>
> IIRC, proxyuser at ftpuser@ftpserver tells Squid to go to ftpserver using
> proxyuser at ftpuser as the user name/login.

Yes, and it would be nice to configure squid, so squid extract the proxy
authentication from this string.

> > Is there any support for native ftp protocol and proxy authentication ?
>
> I doubt there is native FTP proxy authentication support in Squid, but
> to be sure, it would be great to know how that works from the FTP client
> point of view. In other words, when an FTP client supports FTP proxy
> authentication, what does it send to the FTP proxy (i.e., to Squid)?

It doesn't have proxy support, it only sends the USER and PASS string.

--
Regards

  Dieter