[squid-users] compression in Squid

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Wed Nov 23 13:38:41 UTC 2016

So I have finally got around to implementing the proxy compression
feature in HTTP.

The code and more info is available at:
<https://code.launchpad.net/~yadi/squid/te-gzip>

This Squid built with zlib can right now receive and decompress on the
fly traffic from a server which uses Transfer-Encoding: deflate.

I am also a long way through work on the corresponding client connection
feature so that I can test Squid<->Squid connections that auto-compress. :-)

If there is anyone interested and able to assist with the testing of
either whats working right now, and/or what is coming up. Please build
the code and let me know how it goes.

FYI: There are no known servers implementing this feature yet. So one of
the test questions is whether anything else actually starts using the
compression once Squid starts advertising its ability, and whether that
works okay.

The primary use-case is for Squid installations where two proxies are
used to reduce bandwidth over a slow or expensive link (ie satellite).