[squid-users] compression in Squid

Ralf Hildebrandt Ralf.Hildebrandt at charite.de
Wed Nov 23 13:50:22 UTC 2016

* Amos Jeffries <squid3 at treenet.co.nz>:
> So I have finally got around to implementing the proxy compression
> feature in HTTP.
>
> The code and more info is available at:
> <https://code.launchpad.net/~yadi/squid/te-gzip>
>
> This Squid built with zlib can right now receive and decompress on the
> fly traffic from a server which uses Transfer-Encoding: deflate.

I don't understand this feature. Why is the compressed data not simply
passed on to the client?

> The primary use-case is for Squid installations where two proxies are
> used to reduce bandwidth over a slow or expensive link (ie satellite).

So the proxies are compressing everything (between them? between proxy
and internet? between client and proxy?)

--
Ralf Hildebrandt                   Charite Universitätsmedizin Berlin
ralf.hildebrandt at charite.de        Campus Benjamin Franklin