[squid-users] 3.5.9 for Debian

Dan Purgert dan at djph.net
Sat Sep 26 11:19:44 UTC 2015

On 09/25/2015 06:09 PM, Amos Jeffries wrote:
> On 26/09/2015 2:26 a.m., Dan Purgert wrote:
>> Quoting TarotApprentice:
>>
>>> Is there a chance we can get 3.5.9 into Debian please.
>>>

>> Think this is more a question for the Debian maintainers, than the squid
>> ones.  I ended up building 3.5.8 from source because of it.
>>
>> TBH though, the built-from-source 3.5.8 seems to be a lot lighter
>> running than the packaged version.  Am a bit surprised, as I only took
>> out like 2 or 3 un-used auth helpers.
>
> The big difference is more likely to be the CPU-specific optimizations.
> Generic distros are not able to build binaries with them because of the
> range of downloaders, but your custom build could.

Thanks for the explanation. Been forever since I've built from source
(and back then, I never really looked at how "heavy" a program was --
just a dumb kid in college trying to get a handle on Linux).

I'm assuming this is part of the configure / make process on my specific
system, as I don't recall *doing* anything in that regard.