[squid-users] big files caching-only proxy

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Thu Oct 22 08:08:30 UTC 2015

On 22/10/2015 7:13 a.m., Leonardo Rodrigues wrote:

>     Hi,
>
>     I have a running setup for proxying only 'big' files, like Windows
> Update, Apple Updates and some other very specific URLs. That's working
> just fine, no problem on that.
>
>     For avoiding caching small things on the URLs i want to have big
> files proxied, i setup the 'minimum_object_size' for 500Kb, for example.
> That's doing just fine, working flawlessly.
>
>     Now i'm looking for caching instagram data. That's seems easy,
> instagram videos are already being cached, but i really dont know how to
> deal with the small images and thumbnails from the timetime. If i lower
> too much the minimum_object size, those will be cached as well as not
> wanted data from the other URLs.
>
>     Question is: can the minimum_object_size be paired with some ACL ?
> Can i have a minimum_object globally and another one for specific URLs
> (from an ACL) for example?
>
>     i'm running squid 3.5.8.

It sounds to me that you are not so much wanting to cache only big
things, you are wanting to cache only certain sites which contain mostly
big things.

The best way to confgure that is with the cache directive. Just allow
those sites you want, and deny all others. Then you dont have to worry
about big vs small object size limits.

Though why you would want to avoid caching everything that was designed
to be cached is a bit mystifying. You might find better performance
providing several cache_dir with different size ranges in each for
optimal caching to be figured out by Squid.