[squid-users] big files caching-only proxy

Leonardo Rodrigues leolistas at solutti.com.br
Thu Oct 22 18:48:03 UTC 2015

Em 22/10/15 06:08, Amos Jeffries escreveu:
> On 22/10/2015 7:13 a.m., Leonardo Rodrigues wrote:
>
> It sounds to me that you are not so much wanting to cache only big
> things, you are wanting to cache only certain sites which contain mostly
> big things.
>
> The best way to confgure that is with the cache directive. Just allow
> those sites you want, and deny all others. Then you dont have to worry
> about big vs small object size limits.
>
> Though why you would want to avoid caching everything that was designed
> to be cached is a bit mystifying. You might find better performance
> providing several cache_dir with different size ranges in each for
> optimal caching to be figured out by Squid.

     At first that (caching only 'big' things) was the idea, but when i
look to cache instagram, that really changed. I know i dont have a good
hardware (I/O limitation) and having a VERY heterogenous group of
people, hits were low when caching 'everything' and, in some cases,
access was even getting slower as i do have a good internet pipe. But
caching windows update and other 'big things' (antivirus updates, apple
updates, etc etc) still looked interesting to me.

     As you suggested, i further enhanced my ACLs that match 'what i
want to cache' and could get it working using cache rules. I have even,
in some cases, created two ACLs, one for the dstdom and other for the
urlpath for matching just some extensions i want to cache. Maybe not
perfect, but seems to be working fine after lowering the
minimum_object_size to some few KBs.

--

	Atenciosamente / Sincerily,
	Leonardo Rodrigues