[squid-users] squid version 3.5.5

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Wed Jul 1 12:15:59 UTC 2015

On 1/07/2015 11:49 p.m., Paul Martin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am using 2 machines with 2 squids versions,same squid.conf and both with
> 700 Http requests/sec.
>
> -squid version 3.3.8: I have 40k squid cache objects
>
> -squid version 3.5.5: I have 2k squid cache objects
>
> Do you have an idea why squid cache objects is so different with squid
> version 3.5.5 compare with 3.3.8 ?

Insufficient data. (sorry bad pun, but its true).

Unless the two proxies are receiving exacty the same data at the same
time for the whole of their uptime its unlikely they will have the same
content cached.

A lot of change has also happened over the 2 years between those versions.

At the very least "Bug 3806: Caching responses with Vary header" will
cause many fewer cache entries since Vary objects are no longer added to
cache then index entries 'lost'.

Also, various fixes in CONNECT handling allow some modern non-HTTP
protocols to work better over proxy CONNECT tunnels. That could be
allowing more of teh traffic through the 3.5 proxy to be using those
protocols instead of HTTP the proxy can cache.

There have also been several revalidation and Range handling fixes that
may reduce the number of objects needed in cache.