[squid-dev] mirrors with missing files

Stuart Henderson stu.lists at spacehopper.org
Thu Nov 2 11:59:15 UTC 2023

On 2023-11-01, Amos Jeffries <squid3 at treenet.co.nz> wrote:
> On 1/11/23 09:59, Alex Rousskov wrote:
>> On 2023-10-31 15:39, Francesco Chemolli wrote:
>>> Before we can migrate ..., we need to deprecate, cleanup and simplify
>>> a lot.
>>
>> Do you really, really _need_ to "deprecate, cleanup, and simplify a lot"
>> in order to stop mirroring tomorrow?! Start doing new minor releases on
>> GitHub a month from now? FWIW, I have asked for specifics many times,
>> but am still unaware of any serious obstacles on the way to those goals.
>>

> As I have mentioned multiple times ... there is a reason we have Jenkins
> building the tarballs.
>

> Please run the following commands:
>
> wget
> https://github.com/squid-cache/squid/archive/refs/tags/SQUID_6_3.tar.gz &&
> 	tar -xvf SQUID_6_3.tar.gz &&
> 	./configure &&
> 	make check

That's using github's on-the-fly generated tarballs; it's also possible to
upload a "release artefact" which is the proper project-generated tar.gz.
See e.g. the irssi releases, https://github.com/irssi/irssi/releases/tag/1.4.5
(though also notice the ugly way they try to make sure people download the
correct file...)

(and it doesn't preclude _also_ having mirrors)