[squid-dev] mirrors with missing files

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Wed Nov 1 17:34:37 UTC 2023

On 2023-11-01 12:05, Amos Jeffries wrote:
> On 1/11/23 09:59, Alex Rousskov wrote:
>> On 2023-10-31 15:39, Francesco Chemolli wrote:
>>> Before we can migrate ..., we need to deprecate, cleanup and simplify
>>> a lot.

>> Do you really, really _need_ to "deprecate, cleanup, and simplify a
>> lot" in order to stop mirroring tomorrow?! Start doing new minor
>> releases on GitHub a month from now? FWIW, I have asked for specifics
>> many times, but am still unaware of any serious obstacles on the way
>> to those goals.

> As I have mentioned multiple times ... there is a reason we have Jenkins
> building the tarballs.

The reasons I have heard multiple times do not preclude disabling
mirroring tomorrow and doing releases on GitHub a month from now.

>> AFAICT, there is just lack of shared goals (or shared priorities)
>> rather than serious obstacles on the way of achieving those two
>> specific goals.

> FWIW, one of those goals that we appear not to share is freedom of
> information > ... specifically to have Squid code available to everyone.
FWIW, I support that particular goal (among others). That goal certainly
does not preclude disabling mirroring tomorrow and doing releases on
GitHub a month from now.

> There exist countries in this world who forbid access to USA hosted
> content. Having squid-cache.org mirrored keeps us largely out of the
> political arean.

We do not need mirrors to make Squid available on non-US hosted servers,
especially stale, broken, and infested mirrors (i.e. the subject of this
email thread).