[squid-users] squid "make check" error

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Mon Jul 22 22:53:16 UTC 2024

On 20/07/24 03:19, Alex Rousskov wrote:
> On 2024-07-19 09:20, Rafał Stanilewicz wrote:
>> Thank you. It worked.
>
> Glad to hear that!

Seconded.

>> I incorrectly assumed all dependencies would be captured by aptitude
>> build-dep squid and ./configure.

AFAIK that is a correct assumption for Debian based packages. The only
additional dependencies needed should be for features *not* enabled in
the package.

This failure is quite a surprise to me. That said, I test the Debian
"squid" package with "apt" not "aptitude" and there are some unexpected
algorithm differences at times.

> Should "squid" package build dependencies accommodate "make check"?

The Debian/Ubuntu packages should since the package creation runs "make
check". The "apt build-dep squid" should pull in everything necessary to
build the relevant squid_*.deb package (except some few essential OS
packages which should exist everywhere).

libcppunit-dev has been listed as a squid dependency for many years. So
I would not be surprised if some ancient Ubuntu (circa 2010 or such)
showed this behaviour, but certainly not the one you have.

Cheers