[squid-users] squid "make check" error

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Fri Jul 19 15:19:34 UTC 2024

On 2024-07-19 09:20, Rafał Stanilewicz wrote:
> Thank you. It worked.

Glad to hear that!

> I incorrectly assumed all dependencies would be captured by aptitude
> build-dep squid and ./configure.

Your assumption is not wrong for dependencies that are necessary to
build and install Squid. Testing Squid, including testing with "make
check", is (evidently) considered a separate activity that "squid"
package build dependencies (installed by "apt build-dep") do not have to
accommodate.

Should "squid" package build dependencies accommodate "make check"?

FWIW, packaging is not my area of expertise, and I could not find a
definitive answer in Debian packaging policy documents[1] or on the web.
I speculate that the default answer is "yes". If that answer is correct,
then "squid" package configuration should be adjusted to include
libcppunit-dev as a build dependency. Otherwise, one should not expect
"make check" to succeed after "apt build-dep squid".

[1] https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/

Cheers,

Alex.