[squid-users] Bind specific squid instance (port) to specific icap service

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Thu May 11 13:39:13 UTC 2023

On 5/11/23 09:08, Ben Goz wrote:

> On 11/05/2023 15:58, Alex Rousskov wrote:
>> On 5/11/23 06:26, Ben Goz wrote:
>>
>>> I have a machine with N (while N is always bigger than 1) different
>>> ip addresses and for each ip address I have a different squid
>>> instance. And I also have N icap servers. What is the best
>>> configuration that each squid will be attached to a different icap
>>> service?
>>
>> Can you configure each Squid to use a different ICAP service (i.e.
>> Squid instance #i would use ICAP service #i)? If the answer to that
>> question is "no", then please detail what prevents you from using that
>> (natural/obvious) solution.

> It should be used with different pidfile correct?

What do you mean by "it"? The opening of your question states that you
already have a machine with N Squid instances so, I assume, you already
know how to run multiple Squid instances on the same machine. It does
require instance-specific PID files (pid_filename in squid.conf). It is
usually best to make that multi-Squid setup work well _before_ you add
ICAP into the mix.

If you are asking about ICAP server configuration, then you should
direct your question to ICAP server support. Each ICAP server has its
own configuration language and caveats...

In squid.conf for Squid instance #i, you will use an icap_service
directive to point that Squid instance #i to ICAP service #i (i.e. the
ICAP service dedicated to Squid instance #i). There are more complicated
ways to set this up, but this simple setup already addresses the
requirements you have shared so far.

HTH,