[squid-users] Are you using ESI?

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Mon Feb 27 01:55:35 UTC 2023

I guess I will be the first to put hands up.

On 25/02/2023 11:49 am, Alex Rousskov wrote:
> Hello,
>
>     ESI support in Squid has been a significant source of problems for
> many years. One of the biggest problems is affecting a lot of code
> that has nothing to do with the ESI module! I see no signs of a
> significant ESI user base, but some users may still exist. Before
> proposing to remove ESI support from Squid, I would like to better
> estimate the negative impact of that removal on existing Squid
> installations.
>
> If your Squid installation uses ESI features, please respond (in
> private if necessary). How would ESI removal affect your Squids?

This would prohibit upgrade of Squid for a good third of my companies
client base. Niche as that is.

> Would you be willing and able to rewrite the ESI module integration
> with Squid primary APIs (or hire a developer capable of such a serious
> project)?

It is on my TODO list but not urgent priority at this point.

For others;
  do not be fooled by the use of the word "Serious" in that description.
Long-term ESI would probably better be presented as an eCAP library. The
bulk of the project is learning how eCAP works (libecap suffers the "no
documentation" problem common in Open Source code). Extracting the
classes to have eCAP call ESI logic should be relatively easy.

HTH