[squid-users] FW: Encrypted browser-Squid connection errors

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Tue Oct 25 08:43:54 UTC 2022

On 21.10.22 11:25, Grant Taylor wrote:
>From memory, the only effective difference between explicit proxy mode
>and transparent proxy mode (from Squid's point of view) is the use of
>the `CONNECT` vs `GET` et al, command and how the hostname is
>specified.

if by "transparent" you mean "intercepting" proxy, that is incorrect

CONNECT is HTTP command designed for use with explicit HTTP proxy.

>>I think Adam Meyer also explained it nicely.
>
>Yes, Adam said that 3128 is a /convention/.

ok, there's no explicit need. And since there's no explicit need to use port
80 for HTTP proxy, the convention is to use different port because of
reasons stated before.

On 21.10.22 11:51, Grant Taylor wrote:
>I knew that I had seen something about using an FTP proxy that wasn't
>HTTP related.
>
>I encourage you to read ~/.ncftp/firewall for more details.
>Conveniently copied below.
>
>I'd like to point out two things:
>
>1)  The syntax and ports used only reference FTP.
>2)  The 'NcFTP does NOT support HTTP proxies that do FTP, such as
>"squid" or Netscape Proxy Server.  Why?  Because you have to
>communicate with them using HTTP, and this is a FTP only program.'
>
>So ... yes, I am quite certain that there are FTP /proxies/ that are
>NOT using HTTP.

These are the FTP protocol "hacks" I mentioned before.
The HTTP protocol was created with proxying in mind, FTP was not.
using specially crafted login name for connecting to anoter server is one of
those hacks.

The 3 biggets disasters: Hiroshima 45, Tschernobyl 86, Windows 95