[squid-users] FW: Encrypted browser-Squid connection errors

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Fri Oct 21 17:51:47 UTC 2022

On 10/21/22 11:25 AM, Grant Taylor wrote:
> I remember reading things years ago where people would use a bog
> standard FTP client to connect to an /FTP/ server acting as an /FTP/
> proxy.

I knew that I had seen something about using an FTP proxy that wasn't
HTTP related.

I encourage you to read ~/.ncftp/firewall for more details.
Conveniently copied below.

I'd like to point out two things:

1)  The syntax and ports used only reference FTP.
2)  The 'NcFTP does NOT support HTTP proxies that do FTP, such as
"squid" or Netscape Proxy Server.  Why?  Because you have to communicate
with them using HTTP, and this is a FTP only program.'

So ... yes, I am quite certain that there are FTP /proxies/ that are NOT
using HTTP.

--8<--
# NcFTP firewall preferences
# ==========================
#
# If you need to use a proxy for FTP, you can configure it below.
# If you do not need one, leave the ``firewall-type'' variable set
# to 0.  Any line that does not begin with the ``#'' character is
# considered a configuration command line.
#
# NOTE:  NcFTP does NOT support HTTP proxies that do FTP, such as "squid"
#        or Netscape Proxy Server.  Why?  Because you have to
communicate with
#        them using HTTP, and this is a FTP only program.
#
# Types of firewalls:
# ------------------
#
#    type 1:  Connect to firewall host, but send "USER user at real.host.name"
#
#    type 2:  Connect to firewall, login with "USER fwuser" and
#             "PASS fwpassword", and then "USER user at real.host.name"
#
#    type 3:  Connect to and login to firewall, and then use
#             "SITE real.host.name", followed by the regular USER and PASS.
#
#    type 4:  Connect to and login to firewall, and then use
#             "OPEN real.host.name", followed by the regular USER and PASS.
#
#    type 5:  Connect to firewall host, but send
#             "USER user at fwuser@real.host.name" and
#             "PASS pass at fwpass" to login.
#
#    type 6:  Connect to firewall host, but send
#             "USER fwuser at real.host.name" and
#             "PASS fwpass" followed by a regular
#             "USER user" and
#             "PASS pass" to complete the login.
#
#    type 7:  Connect to firewall host, but send
#             "USER user at real.host.name fwuser" and
#             "PASS pass" followed by
#             "ACCT fwpass" to complete the login.
#
#    type 8:  Connect to firewall host, but send "USER
user at real.host.name:port"
#
#    type 9:  Connect to firewall host, but send "USER
user at real.host.name port"
#
#    type 0:  Do NOT use a firewall (most users will choose this).
#
firewall-type=0
#
#
#
# The ``firewall-host'' variable should be the IP address or hostname of
# your firewall server machine.
#
firewall-host=firewall.home.example.net
#
#
#
# The ``firewall-user'' variable tells NcFTP what to use as the user ID
# when it logs in to the firewall before connecting to the outside world.
#
firewall-user=fwuser
#
#
#
# The ``firewall-password'' variable is the password associated with
# the firewall-user ID.  If you set this here, be sure to change the
# permissions on this file so that no one (except the superuser) can
# see your password.  You may also leave this commented out, and then
# NcFTP will prompt you each time for the password.
#
firewall-password=fwpass
#
#
#
# Your firewall may require you to connect to a non-standard port for
# outside FTP services, instead of the internet standard port number (21).
#
firewall-port=21
#
#
#
# You probably do not want to FTP to the firewall for hosts on your own
# domain.  You can set ``firewall-exception-list'' to a list of domains
# or hosts where the firewall should not be used.  For example, if your
# domain was ``probe.net'' you could set this to ``.probe.net''.
#
# If you leave this commented out, the default behavior is to attempt to
# lookup the current domain, and exclude hosts for it.  Otherwise, set it
# to a list of comma-delimited domains or hostnames.  The special token
# ``localdomain'' is used for unqualified hostnames, so if you want hosts
# without explicit domain names to avoid the firewall, be sure to include
# that in your list.
#
firewall-exception-list=.home.example.net,localhost,localdomain
#
#
#
# You may also specify passive mode here.  Normally this is set in the
# regular $HOME/.ncftp/prefs file.  This must be set to one of
# "on", "off", or "optional", which mean always use PASV,
# always use PORT, and try PASV then PORT, respectively.
#
#passive=on
#
#
#
# NOTE:  This file was created for you on Sat Jan 21 23:09:26 2017
#        by NcFTP 3.2.5.  Removing this file will cause the next run of
NcFTP
#        to generate a new one, possibly with more configurable options.
#
# ALSO:  A /etc/ncftp.firewall file, if present, is processed before
this file,
#        and a /etc/ncftp.firewall.fixed file, if present, is processed
after.
-->8--

--
Grant. . . .