[squid-users] rejecting CONNECT if Proxy-Authentication header is sent but not required

Ole Craig olc at macmillan-craig.net
Tue Oct 11 05:31:02 UTC 2022

Background: we are using Squid internally to replicate customer
environments which require proxy transit for most if not all HTTP/REST
comms, in order to facilitate bug replication and dev/test of software
which must operate in those environments.

I would like to configure Squid with a set of allow-listed domains such
that unauthenticated CONNECTs to sites within those domains succeed,
_unless_ the following conditions are met:

  * if a client preemptively sends a Proxy-Authenticate header anyway,
    without first receiving a 407
  * _and_ that header is invalid (bad username/password, unsupported
    authN method, &c),

...in which case I want the CONNECT to get a standard 407 response.

Is this conditional possible with Squid's ACL structure? I can't see a
way to make it happen in Squid 3.5 running on Amazon linux, although
I've discovered a couple new ways of generating authentication loops. :/

     Thanks for any help/pointers,

         Ole

Ole Craig | olc at macmillan-craig.net

McQuary was far too generous.