[squid-users] Does Squid support client ssl termination?

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Tue Nov 1 18:49:17 UTC 2022

On 11/1/22 11:33 AM, squid3 at treenet.co.nz wrote:
> That is not true as a blanket statement.

Please clarify which statement / who you are addressing.

It seems as if you're addressing mingheng (copied below for convenience):

On 10/31/22 7:32 PM, mingheng wang wrote:
> I delved into the configuration the last few days, and found that
> Squid doesn't officially support cache_peer when ssl_bump is in use.

But you may be addressing my statement (...):

On 11/1/22 10:44 AM, Grant Taylor wrote:
> That surprises me.  I wonder if it's a technical limitation or an
> oversight.

On 11/1/22 11:33 AM, squid3 at treenet.co.nz wrote:
> What Squid officially *does not* support is decrypting traffic then
> sending the un-encrypted form to a HTTP-only cache_peer.

Please elaborate.  I'm trying to develop a mental model of what is and
is not supported with regard to client / proxy / server communications.
I'm unclear on how this applies to the two potential HTTPS streams;
client-to-proxy and proxy-to-server.  Or if this is more applicable to
TLS-Bump on implicit / network transparent / intercepting proxies where
the client thinks that it's talking HTTPS to the origin server and the
proxy would really be downgrading security by stripping TLS.

Here is my mental model based on my current understanding.  Is the
following diagram accurate?

             +-------------+-----------+
             |  P2S-HTTP   | P2S-HTTPS |
+-----------+-------------+-----------+
| C2P-HTTP  |  supported  | supported |
+-----------+-------------+-----------+
| C2P-HTTPS | unsupported | supported |
   C2P = Client to Proxy communication
   P2S = Proxy to server communication

> All other permutations of inbound TCP/TLS, http:// or https:// URL, and
> outbound TCP/TLS should currently work to some degree. The more recent
> your Squid version the better it is.

ACK

--
Grant. . . .