[squid-users] squid5 Happy Eyeballs - Is it possible to enable IPV4 only or IPV6 only ?

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Mon May 2 15:38:54 UTC 2022

On 5/1/22 23:49, Ahmad Alzaeem wrote:

> sometime the IPV4
> instance receive DNS resolution of the destination as IPV6 and the
> connection fails !!
>
> sometimes the IPV4 instance receive the DNS resolution of the
> destination as IPV6 and the connection fail .
>
> Is there any option we can do based on the environment above ?

Without Squid code modifications, your options are:

* Use a custom DNS resolver (configuration) that never sends IPv4
address records to an IPv6-only Squid. Use a custom DNS resolver
(configuration) that never sends IPv6 address records to an IPv4-only
Squid. Configure each Squid to use the right resolver (see dns_nameservers).

* Disable IPv6 support in IPv4-only Squid at ./configure time. This does
not help with the IPv6-only Squid and has other negative side effects. I
do not recommend this option.

 > Like maybe we disable eyeballs or preserving it while add an option
 > like DNS A records or DNS AAAA records .

It would be possible to enhance Squid by adding a configuration option
that disables (certain) A or AAAA queries, but proper modifications are
not trivial and nobody has done them yet:
https://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/AboutSquid#How_to_add_a_new_Squid_feature.2C_enhance.2C_of_fix_something.3F

Cheers,