[squid-users] The usage of extended SNMPD commands to monitor squid.

ngtech1ltd at gmail.com ngtech1ltd at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 10:16:05 UTC 2022

Hey Matus,

The Squid-Cache project to my knowledge doesn't have a developer expert or have enough "free" time to maintain the SNMP parts of the code.
Amos and Alex can correct me if I'm wrong.
There were plans to make the cache manager pages in a yaml format to allow programs to work with instead of parsing the current format.
I do not know were these plans stand and I believe that an extended SNMPD commands might be pretty useful since not everything in the cache manager pages is available via the SNMP.

It will require some development time and a bit of QA but the relevant things are:
* Prometheus (json)
* SNMP
* others (yaml)

It's pretty simple to parse the current cache manager to specific degree and specific developers and to convert it to json/yaml is also pretty simple.
I remember that I have some code somewhere that does some of the heavy lifting in such a project.

I will say something like this:
Let make a DIFF and see what happens, what do you think?

Eliezer