[squid-users] adding cache_control = nocache to http request using squid transparent proxy

ngtech1ltd at gmail.com ngtech1ltd at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 07:41:42 UTC 2022

Hey Amos,

I support what you wrote and I do not know why the service provider wants this but there are some cases
which there is a need to lower the cache ratio of the clients.
Usually fast service is what ISPs want but there are couple use cases that I have seen which makes sense to somehow
try to disable cache in the client side.
In these specific cases the relationship of the ISP and the client should be fully understood by both side
and the ISP should OVER COMMIT their services to the client to compensate for the client limitations.
I would assume it should be some 50-100% of the package over commit.
In the last years I have seen that 1080HD videos uses usually 3Mbps VBR in cases of real time transcoding of the video
( both in server and client side ) while 6Mbps in CBR for the exact same pre-transcoded videos.
(which reduces the client side CPU and device requirements).

So, in case I would have couple CDNs pushing data to my network while the one is overloading my clients current hardware
There is a right to push back this CDN performance since he somehow in-directly forces my clients to  upgrade their hardware.

To my understanding many ISPs and CDNs won't see their actions to give better service coverage as bad
but what's next? We won't be able to snoop in our noses between commercials that are popping into
our screen or eyes or head?

I just put this really faint conversation in my head:
Son: ohh my head hurts dad!
Dad: Who hit you?
Son: I don't know, I was sitting Infront of the **device** and the video was 4k fps.
Dad: You should use a lower image fps rendering, in my days we used to watch matrix in 15-30 fps and it was fun.

Hope It Helps to give someone a smile.

Eliezer

----
Eliezer Croitoru