[squid-users] [squid-announce] Squid 5.4 is available

FredB numsys at free.fr
Fri Feb 11 08:30:54 UTC 2022

Hi,

> What is this image general purpose?

Have a containerized Squid, easy to install and upgrade, and In my case
use multi proxies on same machine

Enabled options, here:
https://gitlab.com/fredbcode-images/squid/-/blob/master/Dockerfile#L8

Squid is automatically compiled, tested (I will add more tests soon) and
finally released as image every weeks

When a test fail, there is no new release.

I'm already using this process for e2guardian, a pipeline runs every
time a commit is merged:

You can click on each state to see the process:
https://gitlab.com/fredbcode/e2guardian/-/pipelines/463682244
Example Debian compilation:
https://gitlab.com/fredbcode/e2guardian/-/jobs/2055075483

Packages, docker images, are generated when nothing is wrong -> In this
situation I'm testing the web filtering with e2guardian and SSL MITM
mode enabled

> In what environment can it be used?

Any 64 bits with docker (I think it could works also on windows, not
sure), but only for x86 and ARM v8 architectures

> I have seen that the docker-compose contains three containers:
>
>   * Squid
>   * e2guardian
>   * other

It's just a basic example for a simple web filtering machine in icap
mode, works in progress ...
When I have more time, hum, I will add a load balancer (traefik, ha
proxy, ?) for an out of box little platform with squid multi instances
I also added some options to my image like supgethosts: - squid stop
when it can't reach Internet, useful for multi machines and load
balancer (or proxy pac) - autoreload: - If a file is
changed/deleted/created squid reloads automatically -/
/

Personally I'm using many squid on each machine for better performance,
especially with ssl bump

But of course scalability, dead and live of process are using a more
complex mechanism that my simple example

In _my case_ with same hardware the performance has increased
significantly, I used a single squid by machine before.
Also better than some proprietary products that I had tried.

Fred