[squid-users] Squid Degrading

utb trialuser utbtrialuser at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 16:20:46 UTC 2022

Hi Alex,

What is your Squid version (squid --version)?

*5.2*

Any errors or warnings in cache.log?

*With squid degraded I get the following warning:*

*WARNING! Your cache is running out of filedescriptors*

*With squid working fine I get the following error with many different
ips: *

*SendEcho ERROR: sending to ICMPv6 packet to [ip]: (101) Network is
unreachable*

Do you have a cache_dir and/or cache_mem configured in squid.conf? Do
you have "workers" configured?

*I installed squid on 2 different pc's, one with cache_dir and one without
cache_dir. However if I ran the command to check whether or not the
cache_dir was filling up or not, in both cases they would show that they
were filling up. In the case with cache_dir disabled, coredump_dir was set
up on the same dir where cache_dir would go. In no case was cache_mem or
"workers" set up.*

How much free RAM is left on the box when "websites start to take really
long to load"?

*The system with cache_dir has 8GB of RAM and 6GB is left when it degrades.
The system without cache_dir has 4GB of RAM and 2GB is left when it
degrades.*