[squid-users] Squid 4.8+ intercept

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Wed Aug 10 07:51:03 UTC 2022

On 09.08.22 21:28, M K wrote:
>I have a setup like this one:
>
>| Client | =====> | Router | =====> Internet
>                     \/
>                  | Squid |
>
>...the router is a Mikrotik router capable of all things NAT/Redirect and
>whatnot. Squid server has only one network interface.
>Using the router:
>- I tried routing traffic to squid server IP.
>- I tried destination-NATing from client to server IP, with origin server
>IP-and-port natted to squid IP-and-port, and with origin server IP-only
>natted to squid-IP.

https://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/InterceptionProxy#Requirements_and_methods_for_Interception_Caching

NOTE: NAT configuration will only work when used on the squid box.  This is
required to perform intercept accurately and securely.  To intercept from a
gateway machine and direct traffic at a separate squid box use policy
routing.

>I have been struggling for 2 days to setup a working Squid 4.8 or higher
>interception.
>Test server is running Ubuntu 18.4.3 and Squid 4.8.
>Documentation is either too much trim or extremely outdated.
>Any help would be very much appreciated.

policy routing:

https://wiki.squid-cache.org/ConfigExamples/Intercept/IptablesPolicyRoute

The only substitute for good manners is fast reflexes.