[squid-users] Is Squid 5.5 considered stable?

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Thu Apr 28 02:14:34 UTC 2022

On 26/04/22 06:41, Dave Dykstra wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 14, 2022 at 11:21:54PM +1200, Amos Jeffries wrote:
>> Subject: [squid-announce] Squid 5.5 is available
>>    Users of Squid-4 holding back due to earlier release issues
>>    are encouraged to test this version for upgrade.
>
> This doesn't seem to me to be a resounding endorsement.

Exactly so. I am endorsing a cautious attempt to upgrade (for now).

>  Are there any
> other known significant issues with squid-5.5 not present in squid-4.x?

With that disclaimer "not present in squid-4" I can say yes.

My uncertainty is about as-yet unknown issues. All the fixes introduced
by 5.4.1 appear to be stable and working.

> For example, are the memory leaks fixed?  That isn't clear to me.

As for leaks; we have fixed several. At least one remains in v5+, I am
unsure at this point whether it affects everyone or just specific
configurations.

There are quite a few bugs to be worked out still, but they appear to be
low-impact or restricted to very specific configurations.