[squid-users] More detail for access logs on error

Jason Spashett jason.spashett at menlosecurity.com
Tue Jun 29 14:00:13 UTC 2021

Hello,

I am looking to get more detailed access log errors when failures
occur. Some of the items I am after are present in the squid-cache
logs, however it isn't always easy to correlate them.

For example, DNS failures are an example, in the access log squid
reports a 503 for non-existent domains, but the cache log reports this
explicitly as Sending -3 (Name Error: The domain name does not exist.)

I do note that the custom format option err_detail is available, but I
am not sure what this format option can work with, and in particular
it does not *appear* to work with the response code.

There are many other failures reported in the squid cache log, that I
would potentially like to have attributed to the request as seen in
the access log. I do appreciate also, that some of the cache log
errors are not necessarily attributable to a subsystem failure on a
one to one basis, although they do play a role in the causal chain of
events.

Does anyone have any suggestions on extracting further details in the
case of failed requests?

Regards,

Jason