[squid-users] Testing eCap module

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Sun Jun 6 14:57:14 UTC 2021

On 6/6/21 10:09 AM, Ben Goz wrote:
> By the help of God.
> I have an eCap module code that should block traffic on certain cases
> and passthru traffic on other cases.
> What is the most easy and efficient way to test that module's code is
> working as expected?

Consider writing a script (most likely using a wget or curl client) to
emulate "certain cases" and "other cases". The script can interrogate
Squid and detect that the client got the right response for each test
case. Ideally, use fake origin servers (using "netcat", "busybox httpd",
or similar hacks is often enough).

If your test cases are complex and your testing needs are long-term,
this can evolve in complicated setups using various HTTP(S) and
Squid-control libraries (like the ones used by Squid Project CI) or even
custom eCAP host applications (to remove Squid from the loop), but I
would start simple.

Cheers,