[squid-users] Proxy Authentication optional

Antony Stone Antony.Stone at squid.open.source.it
Sat Jul 24 16:14:32 UTC 2021

On Saturday 24 July 2021 at 09:23:52, Dieter Bloms wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I want to implement user authentication (kerberos) on an already existing
> proxysystem without user authenticaion. But I know that there are clients,
> which can't do any authentication.

Can you identify these clients in some way, such as IP address, so that they
can pass an ACL before authentication is requested?

> So is it possible to configure squid, that it ask for proxy
> authentication credentials, but if the client can't authenticate skip
> this acl and go on with the next acls ?

Sounds like a recipe for people bypassing authentication by simply refusing to
authenticate, and getting allowed through.

What is your purpose in implementing authentication, if you also want some
clients to get access without authenticating?  What advantage does
authenticating give the ones who do?

Antony.

--
"Linux is going to be part of the future. It's going to be like Unix was."

 - Peter Moore, Asia-Pacific general manager, Microsoft

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.