[squid-users] Setting custom cache peer revival times

roee klinger roeeklinger60 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 17:55:35 UTC 2021

Hello,

I have a set up with a few cache peers:

cache_peer 100.70.162.11 parent 16211 0 proxy-only name=proxy16211
cache_peer 100.70.162.12 parent 16212 0 proxy-only name=proxy16212
cache_peer 100.70.162.13 parent 16213 0 proxy-only name=proxy16213

My cache peers go down and up frequently, and I would like to set Squid to
choose a reliable peer, which has a long-lasting connection from these
peers, so I would like to set rules that would make the peer DOWN fast, but
UP  slow.

For setting the peer to go DOWN fast, there is an easy solution:

dead_peer_timeout 3 seconds

However, on the same page it reads:

However, it continues to send ICP queries, and will mark the peer as alive
upon receipt of the first subsequent ICP reply.

which means that any peers that receive even a single ICP reply will be
marked as back UP again, which is not ideal since it says very little about
the connection quality of this peer.

is there a way for me to change this behavior and have Squid wait for more
than a single ICP reply, for example, 200 replies?

Thanks,
Roee