[squid-users] process_name macro usage

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Tue Dec 7 20:03:41 UTC 2021

On 12/7/21 1:47 PM, senor wrote:

> What I'm really wanting though is which directives can be safely
> omitted from the disker and coordinator process config

> I'm open to alternative methods and agree that those processes should
> not act on directives that are not useful.

I do not have a list, unfortunately. Eventually, Squid code will be
modified to do what you want automatically, but I am not aware of
anybody working on that right now. Until that happens, try using
process_number macros (at your own risk) to disable (or not enable)
unnecessary services.

> I was under the impression that ${process_name} was for that purpose

I do not think that was the intention. IIRC, we added that configuration
macro for naming kid-specific files. There is no configuration support
for detecting process _roles_ (which is what you need, ideally, for this
configuration hack to be stable across changes in the number of workers
and "squid -N" detours).