[squid-users] process_name macro usage

senor frio_cervesa at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 7 18:47:49 UTC 2021

Thanks Amos and Alex,

I am aware of those 2 links. They are the basis for what I think I know so far. What I'm really wanting though is which directives can be safely omitted from the disker and coordinator process config. As Amos pointed out there is the possibility of inadvertently allowing those processes to use defaults instead of "no config".

I will admit that the primary reason for this exercise is to remove anything with helpers from those processes due to helper design issues. They will eventually be re-coded but currently the disker and coordinator are starting the helpers needlessly. Using idle= is not an option here.

I'm open to alternative methods and agree that those processes should not act on directives that are not useful. I was under the impression that ${process_name} was for that purpose since it is not usable in conditionals. I guess it boils down to which directives are safe to apply to workers but not the others? I'm working with squid-4.16 and starting to test on 5.

Thanks again for the help
Senor