[squid-users] Squid 4.16, docker many CLOSE_WAIT

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Mon Dec 6 23:13:27 UTC 2021

On 12/6/21 3:03 PM, FredB wrote:

> I found nothing about impact, what happen exactly to a user when the
> [client_lifetime] time is out ?

Bugs notwithstanding, Squid closes the client-to-Squid TCP connection
when client_lifetime expires. If that happens in the middle of an HTTP
transaction (or tunnel), the client will get no or truncated response.

I have not checked this carefully, but, AFAICT, client_lifetime
documentation is rather misleading:

* The timer (re)starts with _each_ HTTP request received on the
client-to-Squid connection. A client might be able to keep a
client-to-Squid persistent connection open forever by sending
back-to-back HTTP requests to Squid forever, each short enough to avoid
triggering client_lifetime. This is not a "client" timeout (in a sense
Squid uses "client" in many other contexts) but a "client transaction"
timeout.

* Idle client-to-Squid persistent connections ignore client_lifetime.

* The timeout is also used for busy Squid-to-server connections. This is
not a "client" (or "server") timeout but more of a "transaction" timeout.

HTH,

Alex.
P.S. I doubt client_lifetime is a CLOSE_WAIT solution.