[squid-users] Hi, i need some help about squid for windows

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Sat Aug 28 05:18:08 UTC 2021

see <https://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/SquidAcl>

> 2) proxy functions work nicely but sometimes the squid proxy "locks up"
> and there is no data flow for 2-3 minutes. It usually helps to wait or
> restart the service. How to prevent this? The internet link is good,
> probably a problem with hidden bugs in the squid proxy or wrong settings
> (how to increase stability)?

This being Squid-2 it could be quite a lot of things that have long ago
been solved and forgotten about. First thing to do is try an upgrade.

> 3) number of simultaneous connections per client and globally, How to
> set up win10 64bit, specifically for squid proxy service? If i need to
> configure the OS as well, ask me how.

Windows APIs used by Squid-2 have a hard limit that cannot be changed.

> 4) how to turn off caching. The idea is to just redirect http traffic
> and always ask/force latest version of site online? No need to make a
> local copy/cache, just raw proxy between lan and ether/internet.

In Squid-2:

   cache deny all
   cache_mem 0
   cache_dir /dev/null parent 0

In modern Squid just remove any cache_dir you have.

> note: all of the above issues and issues are related to version 2.72. If
> v4.14 64-bit version that I downloaded from diladele site yesterday
> works better and not have problems, then great. In any case, a couple of
> examples for squid.conf would help me, I would be very grateful.

Squid-2 is HTTP/1.0 software which is 5+ years obsolete now.

Go with the Diladele Squid-4, it is modern HTTP/1.1 software and most of
the help you will be able to get relies on features only found in the
Squid-3+ releases.