[squid-users] How to select parent proxy based on user password

Antony Stone Antony.Stone at squid.open.source.it
Tue Sep 22 20:54:56 UTC 2020

On Tuesday 22 September 2020 at 22:35:36, Ajb B wrote:

> how can you map the user password to a parent proxy?
>
> so that
>
> testuser1:qvmgPUJ5xW-121 at 18.234.74.214:3292
> testuser1:qvmgPUJ5xW-122 at 18.234.74.214:3292
> testuser1:qvmgPUJ5xW-123 at 18.234.74.214:3292
> map to a different parent proxy?

It makes no sense to me to have one username with multiple passwords.

The username is the identifier - this tells the system who this "user" is and
the system can then find out what this "user" can do, provided they are
authenticated.

The password is the authenticator - this tells the system that the entity
trying to connect really is that user.

If you want one entity (person, script, application, whatever) to have access
to different upstream proxies (presumably for different purposes), you should
give them different identities (usernames) in order to access those proxies.

They then use the appropriate username for the access they require at the
time.

What would be the use case for one username with multiple passwords?

Antony.

--
Neurotics build castles in the sky;
Psychotics live in them;