[squid-users] websockets through Squid

Alex Rousskov rousskov at measurement-factory.com
Tue Oct 13 16:14:17 UTC 2020

On 10/13/20 11:21 AM, Vieri wrote:

> I saw that the actual difference between a manual build and a Gentoo Linux build is with the following:

> 1) the build fails as mentioned earlier in this thread when running
> Gentoo-specific "configure" scripts. Bootstrapping makes no real
> difference.

> econf: updating squid-5.0.4-20200825-rf4ade365f/cfgaux/config.sub with /usr/share/gnuconfig/config.sub
> econf: updating squid-5.0.4-20200825-rf4ade365f/cfgaux/config.guess with /usr/share/gnuconfig/config.guess
> ./configure --prefix=/usr --build=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --host=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info --datadir=/usr/share --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var/lib --disable-dependency-tracking --disable-silent-rules --docdir=/usr/share/doc/squid-5.0.4 --htmldir=/usr/share/doc/squid-5.0.4/html --with-sysroot=/ --libdir=/usr/lib64

> I don't see anything wrong with the third line and the parameters
> passed to configure (unless disable-dependency-tracking could have
> some side-effects).

* I speculate that disabling dependency tracking results in such
dependencies as the target creating the "tests" directory being skipped
or even not-generated, but I do not know the actual details.

* Customizing various installation directories should not affect the build.

* I assume the host settings are correct.

* Disabling silent rules is a bad idea during build triage, but should
not affect the build outcome AFAICT.

> So I guess the problem might be with the first and second lines where
> some config scripts seem to be replaced.

You can easily test this theory. I cannot, but my first bet would be on
--disable-dependency-tracking.

> 2) the build succeeds even when using the Gentoo build environment just as long as I do not run the Gentoo-specific econf (configure) script but "./configure" instead.

Glad we could identify the primary suspect. You should probably follow
up with Gentoo folks responsible for this Squid customization.

Cheers,