[squid-users] Double method of authentication, possible?

Amos Jeffries squid3 at treenet.co.nz
Fri Jul 10 00:39:14 UTC 2020

On 9/07/20 9:44 pm, Antonino Gianfranco Sanacori wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I normally use a ldap authentication for my user but i would use the
> basic authentication for some user.
>
> How can i configure squid to support both methods?

They are not two methods. So no. But yes it is possible.

-> Basic is the *scheme* in HTTP auth for representing credentials.

-> LDAP is a protocol API for talking to auth services.

HTTP supports using multiple *schemes* to authenticate clients.

Squid supports *one* helper per scheme to authenticate the credentials
provided using that scheme.

The helper you configure may *use* multiple backend services with
different APIs to check those Basic credentials coming from your
clients. Squid does not provide a helper to check multiple backends for
Basic scheme, but it is easy to write one of your own based on the
"fake" helper provided.